The Monthly Pimp: August Edition
Merlin Mann | Aug 6 2008
Here's the latest stuff Merlin's been up to, here and abroad.
Huh? “Monthly Pimp?”
Meta: New experiment. Everybody hates endless self-promotion. I know I do. So, except where called for by amazingly useful exception, I’d like all “Yay Merlin” stuff that makes it to the content well of the 43f home page (including recent interviews and podcasts, new projects, as well as recent and upcoming appearances of possible interest) to be ganged into a single monthlyish post.
Nota Bene: I’d also like to encourage all my friends with blogs to try a similar experiment in personal curation. Our internet visitors are here to be delighted by useful stuff, not to watch a blogger smell his finger. Right? Exactly. Welcome. And thank you. No, thank you.
Merlin's Upcoming Stuff
- Start. A Conference for Entrepreneurs. Tomorrow, my pals, Jeff and Bryan are putting on an amazing conference for people who are thinking of doing a startup. It's very close to sold out, but there's still time to see me, Mena, Ev, and many more folks talk about how to sensibly take your idea to the web. Register while you still can (it's cheap). Who knows? You might even get to see something special.
- IzeaFest. In September, I'll be in Orlando, Florida to talk about how to build a smart blog for smart people without resorting to tricks and games. And, no: I will not be holding up AdSense checks for "Cash Proof."
For more information about inviting me to speak at your company or event, drop a line.
Merlin: Recently and Elsewhere
- Guestblogging: Blogging at Maximum Fun. For the next couple weeks, me and the other You Look Nice Today "talent" will be guest-blogging over at Jesse's site; Jesse has apparently fooled a woman into marrying him. (Congrats, J&T)
- Appearance: iPhone DevCamp. Participated in a fun panel with Dom, Mike, and Brian, talking about what we want from iPhone apps, what patterns to replicate, and which pitfalls to avoid. As ever, much love for Remote.
- Interview: Real estate information overload | Inman News. Really enjoyed this interview with Glenn in advance of my talk at the Inman Connect conference a couple weeks back. How can you tell a good interviewer? You talk a lot about things you didn't realize you were thinking about.
- Interview: "Technology in the Arts" podcast. Was interviewed by a very nice man called Brad about productivity, "branding," and why editing helps everything not to suck.
Merlin's Ongoing Projects
- Podcast: You Look Nice Today. We're off on walkabout until the end of the month or so, but it's a great time to catch up on recent episodes. Also the perfect time to go all the way back and start where it all began: Episode 2.
And, remember: You Look Nice Today is not safe for anything. Not even as a floor wax.
- Blog: Kung Fu Grippe. My favorite recent posts on my personal blog were about MLM videos, the Flip Video camera, My Neighbor Totoro, a fertility monitor, Twyla Tharp's advice on creativity, and a test of Modomi, featuring The Long Winters.
- Photos: Flickr. People recently enjoyed images of a business offer for YLNT, a banjo, the Dwight Schrute my daughter broke, and a delightful short film that my daughter directed.
- Toots: Twitter. People seemed to like Toots about books, the internet, speakerphones, and my new catchphrase. Then there's my new nemesis, fakemerlinmann.
Thank you for bravely suffering my pimp. See you next month.
Merlin Mann is an independent writer, speaker, and broadcaster. He’s best known for being the guy who created the website you’re reading right now. He lives in San Francisco, does lots of public speaking, and helps make cool things like You Look Nice Today, Back to Work, and Kung Fu Grippe. Also? He’s writing this book, he lives with this face, he suffers from this hair, he answers these questions, and he’s had this life. So far.
Merlin’s favorite thing he’s written in the past few years is an essay entitled, “Cranking.”