43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

File Archive using tags directly in Finder

Hi!

I have a new project that I want some feedback on and would also be grateful if people test it.

I have been struggling to come up with a good way of archiving files on my mac. I tried using just a flat folder structure, but I found that the process of navigating to the correct folder and storing my file there is too much effort. Also, it will only let me place my files in one folder (unless I work with aliases, but that's even more work to put each file in the archive). I tried DevonThink, but that's seems like overkill since I don't need the AI features and it's also a bit slow to start when I just want to save a quick note or a file.

My solution is to use a simple system of tags and smart folders. Files are dropped on an application that lets you enter tags applicable to that file. Smart folders are then automatically created for each tag. That's all there is to it!

The application is currently called simpletag, but since that's a bit too generic I would love to hear some suggestions for a better name.

You can download a beta version of it here: http://tomas.epineer.se/simpletag.zip. To use, simply drop the files you want tagged on to the applications icon. There are only two settings in the Preferences, one is the folder where files should be moved when they have been tagged (don't set this if you don't want the files to be moved) and the second one is the directory where the smart folders should be created (again, don't set this if you don't want smart folders).

I have also included a folder script that can be attached to a folder if you want files added to that folder to be tagged. If you use this folder script on your download folder for example, then whenever you download a file you will be able to tag it and it will be moved to the right location.

Also, if someone out there would like to contribute an icon or help out with the look of the application I would be grateful. My design skills aren't the best.

The project is open source, so the product will be completetly free.

If you have any questions just ask!

Cheers,
tomas

TOPICS: Projects

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »