43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

Not 43 folders. Just 3 folders.

Has anybody experimented with alternate tickler implementations? When I started setting up my system, I didn't have enough folders on hand to create a complete tickler, so I put "get folders" on my @Errands list and I printed out labels for three that I could spare: Tomorrow, Weekly Review, and Next Month.

I suspect that this only works for me because I have very few physical date-sensitive items. Most of my stuff like that is more suited to my calendar (Google Calendar, SMS reminders), so most of the stuff in my three tickler folders are little notes to myself on slips of paper. At the end of the day, Tomorrow goes into the inbox. At the beginning of my weekly review (on Fridays), Weekly Review gets dumped into the inbox. It's mostly stuff that gets re-filed into Tomorrow or scheduled for a specific day or handled during the review itself, or sometimes goes back into Weekly Review if it's something that is better off handled the NEXT week.

Last review of the month, I dump Next Month along with Weekly Review and it gets the same treatment.

I know it's not orthodox, but it's working pretty well for me. Some days I forget to dump the Tomorrow folder, but there's never anything really time-critical there, so it doesn't bite me when I miss it. Best of all I never look up on the 16th to see folders 12-15 eyeing me reproachfully. My one-a-day calendar used to do that and I just had to get rid of it. :)

About mglover

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »