43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

NEWBIE SETTING UP

Hi All,

I'm in the process of setting up my GTD system (using OmniFocus, iCal etc to do so), and am having some difficulty reconciling my current calendar system with the system I'll have under GTD. I'm specifically getting ready to sync omnifocus with ical.

At present I have several calendars in iCal - they're named after areas of my life (broad commitments or responsibilities), and include all of the projects & tasks I've got underway for each area.

Unfortunately, these calendars don't correspond with the contexts I've set up!

I have a few contexts that relate to several calendars, and a few contexts that are relevant to one calendar.

I think what I need to do is ditch the calendars I currently have and re-allocate each task to projects that I create within GTD / OmniFocus.

I guess I'm reluctant to do that because I'm used to viewing tasks related to several projects that fall within one broader commitment all in one view. I know I can still view tasks by project within OmniFocus, however I don't yet see how I can view several related projects within one view.

I've got a sneaking suspicion this hangup is probably why I'm not as productive as I could be!

Any feedback you might be able to provide will be greatly appreciated.

I need a drink! (It is Friday 6pm for me right now, so the timing isn't that bad....)

About durianfish

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »