43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

file drawer hacks (or product ensdorsements)

Hello all:
As a GTD newbie and a recovering hanging-file Fiend, I'm looking for a couple things on file folder usage:

1. Conversion Hacks: I've got some drawers that are the proper dimensions and such for folders where I've currently stowed my newly e-labeled, alphabetized, happy manilla folder party. Alas, they don't have the lovely mechanism that props them up and makes an un-full drawer more than marginally usable. :) Does anyone know of any makeshift or modular products or hacks available to do this job without investing in new drawers?

2. New Drawers: Ok, if the answer is "NO!" on the above, any recommendations on reasonably durable, useful drawers that won't cost me my first born?

3. Success with hanging files: Anyone had comfortable success with the "manilla folder in a hanging file" approach?

Finally: I've NEVER had great success with filing in previous attempts - I always go hog wild for a weekend, and then pile-omania again. I have reason to believe this time will be different - between the general GTD inbox/review approach, how much (albiet bizarre) satisfaction I got this weekend from going nuts with my shiny new label maker, my absolute NEED at this point, and the overall peace that I'm starting to achieve in my first weeks of GTD... but still, any strokes of brilliance, tweaks, techniques, or hacks that clinched your success?

Disclaimer: In my childhood I was completely Type-A: at age 7, my mom used to move my model cars a few inches just to test me, my dresser was impeccable, and I was probably the only 9 year old in my 3rd grade class with a alphabetical filing system for past homework, stuff I was reading, and my pithy adolescent finances. :)

But somewhere in my teen years, that spun hopelessly out of control, and here in my mid 20's, I'm still struggling between chaos and order. My computer has actually always been one place that I stay fairly organized, but my offline life- not so much. :)

TOPICS: Lofi

About bbushman

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »