43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

Web based GTD - Not hosted

So far, each of the technical solutions for a "trusted system" that I have tried has come up short in one or more areas:

- GTD Tiddlywiki - I love the printing to HDPDA. It's easy to put stuff in. But it doesn't bring "Next Actions" to the top. And I have a web server which I can access from anywhere - I am constantly finding myself without my pendrive.
- KinklessGTD - this looks perfect - except I'm not a Mac guy. I've actually considered getting a powerbook just for KGTD, but then my frugal self slaps me. I'm web based. I use Linux when I can, XP when I have to. So I like everything web, shell and email based.
- emacs Org mode. Plus: accessible from anywhere when I ssh to my server. Very geeky. Minus: no HPDA output, no shaking of NAs to one place.
- web based tiddly wikis - installing Ruby on Rails actually defeated me. Still haven't found one that seems to work.

I've got my email inbox and email-based ticklers working great, but that doesn't help for projects and contexts. iCal for my calendaring integrated with remind keeps my "hard landscape" in focus. So I'm set there.

Look, I'm on the Internet almost all the time, and I own a personal web server accessible from anywhere. What I want for Projects and NAs is a KGTD clone for the web that prints to HPDA. Oh, and it should authenticate to an LDAP server.

That's not asking too much, is it? :-) I know, *whine, whine*

Anyone got a link for me?

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »