43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

My favorite Windows utility.. AutoHotKey

This forum looked very lonely, so I thought I'd add something here. I have found over the past year or two that there has been one program that I use constantly, that I never have to 'worry' about, and has made my time on the computer substantially less frustrating and more productive. It's called AutoHotKey, and for those unfamiliar with it, well, take a look at the website to get an idea of all the things it can do.

What I find it particularly useful for is making a keyboard shortcut that I WISH an application or Windows had. To give an example, I just finished one for Outlook. When I press Winkey-1, the script will activate and if MS Outlook is loaded, it will maximize it and send an F9 keystroke to initiate a mail-check. If Outlook isn't already loaded, it will start the application for me. I found myself very often searching through the system tray looking for the little Outlook icon, and half the time, finding I didn't have an instance running. Problem solved. Took about 10 minutes from start to finish.

I have also done a global insert current date & time hotkey, as well as one to automate inserting certain tasks in myLifeOrganized.

If you're the kind of use that likes to use the keyboard to move quickly, then I highly recommend taking a look at this free little gem. Even if you aren't a coder, the included help file has enough examples you can probably figure out what you want. I have not even gone below the tip of the iceberg in the program's power, so imagine what someone with more talent and/or dedication could do.

So, anyone else have a "I love this program" they'd like to recommend?

TOPICS: Windows

About two.olives

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »