43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

The Missing Link in GTD

So last week, I was determined to get into GTD, got my tickler file, my index, my next action lists....and it didn't work out.

I had started composing a post to this board a few days ago, but found the post sufficiently dumb and myself sufficiently vented and relieved after writing it, that I decided not to finish.

My problem was just that everything in my inbox seemed unactionable, something that seemed unique to my situation as a high school student.

Then I started listening to the book all over again (audio book thingy I got a long time ago), and I realized the piece that I was missing was the "project materials".

Like I picked up a chemistry worksheet the other day. I knew I couldn't do it right then and there, it didn't make sense to "file", or put in the tickler, and certainly I could say "what is it" and write down the appropriate action on my next actions list, but what the hell do I do with it after that? I've got it on the list, but it's still in front of me.

Now I realized that everything has to have an organized place. So I'm getting binders or containers for all my projects that don't already have them. Right now, I just carry around a chemistry book, the independent study workbook, and my notes, so obviously i'll have to bundle those together somehow, and have a folder for current work. It seems like an incredibly basic idea, but it eluded me for so long.

My "line cook" system I'm abandoning, unless I try the thing mentioned in the "would you like fries" thread (some of the other printable ceo stuff looks real slick). I didn't like all that stuff hanging over my head, though, literally.

Did anyone else have this kind of problem?

About nuttdan

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »