43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

read the book etc, not sure how to start... help!

Hi-

I've been thinking about GTD for about a year now (off and on) and im switching jobs again and I think it might be a good time to try GTD. I've read the GTD book, read a bunch of posts on line about people using it, studied the GTD flow chard etc... im just not sure what my first real step(s) should be.

I am having stuff start to pile up at my new job already (im not 100% sure of the scope of my responsibilites is yet either) and i want to keep track of things. My boss is very driven and I want to keep up.

I've been just using a notebook so far, taking lots of notes with action items on a per day basis. They use Lotus Notes (v5.0!) which im not great with yet.

I think i like the idea of Gtiddlywiki (sp?) on a USB stick to be my 'system'. I can get the 43 folders setup once i actually get my desk. I have a treo 650 but am considering getting rid of it and going back to a plain ol cell phone.

How do i take my first couple of steps? Do I really need to do this for work and home life at the same time? I feel like i need to determine my "@" lists to start dumping stuff in, but im not sure I know what they should be.

I know the process says to collect and process.

Can someone coach me a bit here and help me get my baby steps going?

Thanks much in advance. Im really looking forward to some GTD nirvana.

About duncanshannon

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »