43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

Splitting your trusted system

I've just gone from being self-employed to a regular full-time job. Lots of culture shock, of course, but the thing that is really stumping me is this. When I was self-employed, I kept all my projects, contexts, and actions in one trusted system --- Emacs Org-mode. This worked really well, and I was able to keep a full view of all the commitments in my life in front of me.

My problem is that now I feel the need to split my system between work and everything else (home, hobbies, volunteering), because my computer at work, and everything on it, is the property of my employer and subject to monitoring, seizure, backups, folding, spindling, mutilating, etc. I have set up a work GTD system using Org mode as well (previously Monkey-GTD, but it didn't meet all of my needs).

This system works well for tracking my work needs, but because I am at home so little (relatively speaking) now, I find that I do not check and update my home GTD system frequently enough to keep on top of my non-work commitments. Obviously, one needs only one trusted system, not a collection of them, which is my problem.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem. How do other people deal with having to split their trusted system?

About jason.mcbrayer

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »