43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

What are your contexts?

I've been thinking about this again, and I think I'm getting there. Almost. I've just posted something on the David forum about this, so I'll slice and dice some of that as I go. Don't say you weren't warned.

Context refers basically to tools available, time available, and energy level. But the context lists used in the book GTD, and those used by most of us, are solely tools-based: we've got @Phone, @Online, and so on, even though most of us have all our tools to hand all our waking hours. And while @Computer and @Phone may be useful for someone who travels a lot, for home businesses or geeks what we can and can't do doesn't whittle down our choices.

In those cases, because the issue of tools doesn't arise, we have to modify our contexts according to time available, perhaps, or energy. We'll continue to have @Car or @InTown context lists, of course, for those occasions when we're not actually wired in to the system, but we may need to slice our contexts a little differently.

For instance, my alertness ebbs and flows during the day. If I have context lists for @Mindless, @Creative, @Physical, @Talkative, for example, I can do the creative work when I'm at my sparkiest, and do the data entry when I'm dopey. The @Physical might be best for those somnolent afternoon times, and the @Talkative for when I'm feeling sociable and outgoing.

Or, if your time is chopped up, you might have lists of @5Mins, @15Mins, @1Hour, @Forever, of things that will take about that length of time, so you can easily find one to slot into whichever window you're in.

I'd be interested to hear whether anyone's doing anything like this, because I haven't seen any comments along these lines yet. We all (me included, because I don't use this system yet) seem to be wombling along with the @Phone and @Computer contexts straight from GTD, yet it's such a sensible idea, methinks.

So, does anyone use these other factors explicitly in their context lists? That is, do you have any context lists other than the tools-based ones?

About unstuffed

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »