43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

How to deal with too many mail accounts?

Hi All,

I am starting to pull my hair out over mail productivity. Not because of too much mail, but because I have too many mail accounts.

I have accounts from my ISP, Gmail, Work, Personal, .mac totaling about a dozen. Trying to find value in paying for .mac, I want to try and get all mail going to may .mac account. However there is a gotcha or two.

1) .mac will not allow you to have outbound email aliases for non .mac addresses
2) I could use my mail client, mail.app, to filter mail for all the pop3 accounts, but it seems counter-intuitive to download mail from pop3 to mail.app, which will upload it back into my .mac based folders for me to download again.

So an email to Merlin advised that people on the forums were pretty smart and o ask them :)

1) Should I go down the path of forwarding email addresses to one account, or should I just keep to the status quo?

2) reply-to vs from: am I old fashioned in thinking from is better?

3) if responding true to 2), is there a script that can be run with mail.app to automagically fill out the reply-to field with the recipient email address when I hit reply?

4) Maybe I should forward email, but keep existing accounts just for sending?

5) What other options/opinions :)

OK folks, have at it. I look forward to any advise you can give.
Cheers.

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »