43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

Apply the "Write it Down" Method to Everything!

First off, this new forum layout is retarded, had to get it off my mind!

If you have found that writing tasks/todos down is helping with your mental capacity and freeing up your mind, apply it to the rest of your life as well for even more free and available space.

I have taken to adopting the GTD method for organization and keeping track of things I need to get done, but I was still having issues, still letting "life" get in the way sometimes, whether it be personal conflicts, personal thoughts/opinions, etc. I decided that I should start journaling my thoughts that occopy way to much of my time, that I don't need to waste on them. They start coming to the forground when all my TODO items are written down, and then I'm still storing these other things in my head and then they start to get in the way of getting things done, because they are stored in mental ram as well.

I started writing these things down recently, and amazingly, my head start to feel even more open and I was able to look at things on "paper" and decide what I wanted to focus on.

So... if your still having issues with GTD and focusing... think about writing down everything else that is keeping you from focusing, be it ideas, opinions, or journaling your thoughts.

Kind of like my opening statement. See, I feel better already.

About Scottw

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »