43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

iGTD2 public Alpha is out

Subject says it all, get it from http://www.igtd.pl/iGTD/iGTD2/index.html

This is definitely alpha software, nothing for real use. But what it shows looks absolutely fantastic to me. It comes with a Leopard'ish interface (in fact, the iGTD 2 alpha runs only on Leopard!).

With V 2.0, iGTD will be no plain GTD implementation anymore. So if you think, DA is the only one to know and following exactly his book is the only way to success, don't read further. iGTD will probably be not for you, you'd better stick with Midnight Inbox or OmniFocus.

iGTD got rid of contexts and instead uses: Ressources, Places, Time and Tags (like Like CulturedCode Things). See the above link for the philosophy behind them. On top of these you can define a set of filters. Combination of filters can be saved as Workspaces (like the Perspectives in OmniFocus, but much more flexible because of the filters). This may sound complicated, but is extremely intuitive. If you dont like trying out the alpha software, look at the movies on their pages.

For me, this is a solution for the context inflation. Eg. take a context like @phone. You could put all your phone calls in it, but if you are like me an could do many tasks by a phone call, so this list might get very long. And it may contain many tasks you could not do now because of several reasons:

• Calls that could be done only in the business hours
  • Calls that could be done only in a privat environment
  • Calls that you would only do during your work hours (at least important for employees) and so on.

Now we could start and split @phone into several contexts @phone-business-hours-private-environment, @phone-work-time, @phone-private (which would include the evenings) and so on. And in the actual situation, typically more than one phone context will apply, so I had to choose all that apply. But this is just an ugly workaround IMHO.

With iGTD2, I solved this in 2 minutes by defining a Ressource (phone), a Time (business hours), Tags (private, business), defined the filters, made the workspaces and thats it.

I really see a big improvement in iGTD2 and can't wait to see how the alpha makes it into a solid product.

About abruenin

abruenin's picture

Bio

Studied Computer Science in Hamburg/Germany, got the degree of Diplom-Informatiker (comparable to MSC) Worked in the IT Consulting space for about 10 years, moving from developer to project leader to team leader. Now for >7 years, I am Principal Presales Consultant for one of the worlds larges software companies, focussed on project lead. I am working on optimizing my self management capabilities for more than 10 years.

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »