43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

Applescript: using Quicksilver to append to OmniOutliner documents

I'm hoping that someone can help me. I've done some searching today for this and was surprised not to find very much information about what I'm looking for.

We all know that you can use Quicksilver to append to an existing text file (with the .txt suffix). However, I keep a set of lists—my non-systematic ‘stuff’—in a set of OmniOutliner documents. These documents are all stored in one folder. There seems to be no way to use Quicksilver to append a line to an arbitrary OmniOutliner document, as far as I can tell.

I've found this page which gives a script to use as a Quicksilver action. That script will append to a .oo3 document whose filename is hard-coded into the script. I would like to be able to define which document to append to from within the Quicksilver interface, in the third argument.

So, my ideal situation would be to think of something to add to one of my lists, bring up Quicksilver and then do something like this in the argument panes:

1. [Whatever mind-numbingly mundane thought I've just had to append to a list]
  2. “Append to OmniOutliner document” (action)
  3. [Specify which OmniOutliner document will be affected]

Surely this is possible? I'm sure someone here with a brain far bigger than my own would be able to help out with the necessary hacking of the Applescript, which is something I've not ever really come to terms with (especially in writing Quicksilver actions).

Hope someone can help me here! Thanks in advance.

About Richard Flynn

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »