43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

Hide your inbox!

One of my biggest problems at work is being forced into an event driven mode by responding to urgent emails as they come in. I have found that, even if I properly file actionable emails, store important information in a reference folder and so on, the very fact that my Inbox is staring me in the face drags me back into being event driven. Today, I hit upon a solution:

Hide my inbox!

That is, I have created various subfolders for different types of email underneath my inbox, and added filtering rules to make sure that every single new email goes into one of them. The result? My actual inbox looks empty. Furthermore, I can only see whether I have new emails by explicitly choosing to expand the inbox folder so that I can see what has arrived in the various subfolders.

So far it is working out really well. I can keep working on my actionable stuff, on the stuff I have decided is important and choose to scan my email every so often to make sure nothing is on fire. My aim is to gradually reduce my inbox scanning to a few times a day (first thing in the morning, after lunch, and late afternoon).

D

About mcnicks

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »