43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

Hello

Hello to you all...

I am going to start off by saying that I am thrilled to be here. I am not even sure how I discovered the 43 Folders idea...no wait it was Amber Macarthurs podcast.

Regardless...I am mostly through the book. And have implemented a ton of it already. It seems so obvious.

I have some questions about tools thought...the moleskine thing? I bought my first one last week and I love it. But is there a higher purpose to it that I am just not to yet. I have used mead notebooks, bought at back to school time for a dime forever.

Being new, and thrilled with new tools...I love the moleskine...but am not sure exactly if I am missing something.

Also the hipster pda baffles me. It seems like it is adding a layer. I take notes on the cards, then I later transfer the ideas to a box, then discard the cards? Is this correct?

Basically what I am understanding from all of this is devise a trusted box to put all the information in. So that you can release it from your head.

Am I close, or do I need more work?

For me the productivity bug started when I was traveling with a musician years ago, and need to keep track of everything. This was before good laptops. I had a great day planner, that I still have, but it sits in a place of high honor, my bedroom floor.

Then I got a PDA. A palm something or other. Loved it.

Shortly after that I got my first ibook. And a change of careers and a need for higher orginization as I took on my things.

So by then I had my palm and my ibook synced up pretty well. So I was up to a palm, a cellphone(motorola v something or other), an ibook, and an ipod. I work in media reform and emergant media and the FCC.

Then I discovered blackberry.

So it was goodbye PDA and cellphone. I was left with blackberry and ibook, and the ipod as strictly as a entertainment device.

Then came Merlin Mann.

Now I am even more of an activist, but I have settled down into a career as a sort of lecturer.

Anyway. What is the next step. I cant get my head around the Hipster PDA, or the sacredness of the moleskine.

Someone help, I just need the key to the castle.

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »