43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

Children's book anticipates GTD

Hi there--this is my first post to the board, although I've occasionally contributed to the mailing list.

My wife is a school librarian, and I share her interest in good children's and young adult books. One of our favorites is the Anastasia Krupnik series by Lois Lowry. I was rereading Anastasia on Her Own (1985) the other day, and was struck by the similarity to a certain other book.

The book starts out with Anastasia's mom frustrated because she's always behind on housework. So Anastasia's dad tries to help out by making a schedule for her to follow. "This can't possibly work," you're thinking, and you're right.

[INDENT]"The problem is," announced Anastasia's father, "that there were a lot of unexpected events. Things we didn't anticipate when we made the schedule."

"There always are," said Mrs. Krupnik. "Every day there are unexpected events."

"That's true, Dad," Anastasia said, looking up from the chopping board where she was slicing the cucumber. "Even in school that's true. Marlene Braverman fainted in Chorus today. Whammo; right out cold on the floor when they were practicing 'Trees.' They got to the part about 'a nest of robins in her hair' and Marlene just keeled over. They took her to the nurse's office, and the nurse said it was because she hadn't eaten breakfast or lunch."

"Maybe Marlene Braverman's mother doesn't have a housekeeping schedule," suggested Mrs. Krupnik, "and so she forgot to make breakfast."

"I had an unexpected event in nursery school, too," Sam said. "I spilled my juice all over the table. It turned the cookies into moosh."

"Well," Dr. Krupnik said, making some final notes on the housekeeping schedule, "Anastasia and I should have thought of that. But now I've redone the list, with special allowances for unexpected events. Things should run absolutely smoothly now, Katherine."

She sighed.[/INDENT]

I ran into the living room waving the book and saying, "Hey, this children's book invented GTD in 1985!"

You can get your own copy on Amazon for practically nothing:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0440402913/

Matthew

About mamster

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »