43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

Wanted: OS X PM software. Must play nice with Microsoft Project

The time has come for me to once again mess with the mess that is Microsoft Project. Fortunately (or unfortunately) Microsoft doesn?t make Project for OS X, so here I am with no PM software. I?ve hunted about, and have come up with two seemingly viable options:

Now, they both happily suck up and play nice with Microsoft Project files, but the demos are effectively crippleware; FastTrack Schedule doesn?t save and Merlin won?t let you have a project with more than 20 lines! How am I supposed to accurately evaluate the usefulness of these things unless I can use them over several days of project plan iterations? Dumb. I?d probably be happy to fork over the US$349 for FastTrack Schedule or the ?145 if, and only if I was given the opportunity to adequately evaluate them.

I?m feeling like both these companies have lost my business.

So now, readers, I?m looking for a free, open source, Microsoft Project-friendly, PM tool. Alternately, is there something out there which isn?t necessarily free, but that give me decent opportunity for evaluation without crippled functionality?

I've posted the same text as above to my blog. If you're answering here, can I impose upon your goodwill to post your answer also at the blog post so non-GTDers who read my blog can see the answer?

TIA, all!

TOPICS: Mac OS X

About trib22

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »