43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

Exergaming

So the other day, I was trudging through this spare room in my family's house, and I came across this incredibly nice treadmill my dad got a long time ago. I cleaned up all the crud and stuff, and I set it up, it's got all these programs and nifty things. The spare room is also where my little brother plays PS2. I made a path through the room so I could get to the treadmill, and moved some of the stuff in the way of the tv.

Now I can play PS2 while running on the treadmill! It's awesome! The best game I've found to play on it that I own is Katamari Damacy, which is a pretty simple, but amazingly fun/addictive game where you roll stuff into a ball. It's the best one because it's simple enough that I can do it with half a brain and you can stop any time and not really lose anything (i.e. final fantasy would not be a good thing to play while running, too complicated, save points are often 45 minutes between or so). Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a lot of the more complicated games, but not while running.

What's nice about it is that I feel like I'm wasting time when I play videogames during the week, and I also need exercise. So it's an awesome thing to do for a good 30 minute break.

Anyway, for you gamers out there, I'm wondering if you might have some recommendations for other games to play. Katamari is fun, but I reckon I'll get sick of it after a while. Something reasonably fast-paced, one-tracked and simple, but sufficiently entertaining, original, and well-made.

I tried playing GTA, but that was actually just a smidgen too complicated. I'm thinking maybe get an anthology thing with some of those old-fashioned video games playable on the ps2. There's also a "personal trainer" ps2 thing, but I don't know if that's really my bag.

Any ideas?

TOPICS: Life Hacks

About nuttdan

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »