43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

Summer routine -- advice?

This summer will be a unique opportunity for me. I'll have finished high school, I'll still be living with my folks (i.e. free rent, food), and I'll have lots of time to work on constructive things and have fun. I don't know why this has never occured to me before during any other summer, but it has now.

The major focus of my efforts this summer will be: 1) working on my software business and freelance jobs that come up, 2) learning several topics I'm interested in and reading an assload of books, 3) maintaining a completely consistent exercise routine and losing weight. 4) community service

This is pretty ambitious, but I figure this is a unique opportunity to accomplish some great stuff. In past summers, I've worked on projects that have turned out well, but spent most of my time at a summer job. So this will be great if I can get my ass in gear and set up a routine.

Anyway, my challenge now is trying to figure out a routine for this. I've figured I ought to get up at some painfully early hour every day and start to work, give myself a lunch break, etc. But in many ways, treating it like a 9-5 would suck, because it might make me not only waste time, but waste my own time, which is even worse.

One idea I've had mild success with in the midst of the usual senioritus is insisting to myself that I engage in some kind of "constructive activity" -- homework, organizing, reading, journaling, whatever. So I was thinking I ought to schedule periods of that, and then have a "credit" system sort of like that Printable CEO guy has.

So I'm posting, asking for some advice here, because I figure a good portion of people here have been in the situation (eg freelancers, writers) of having a lot of completely blank days and having to make them worthwhile.

Your thoughts?

About nuttdan

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »