43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

Small script for Morning messages, next morning messages

I describe how I use morning messages here:

http://board.43folders.com/showthread.php?t=311

"I have a hack which I wanted to share. At the end of each day, I write a page to myself:

"Good Morning duus! The first thing you should do in the morning is go to the gym, and listen to this podcast. Remember, you want to learn about X.

When you get to work, start on project Y. That means opening the textfile yTasks.txt. Remember, you want to finish a draft of Y by the end of the week, so you want to finish at least the first four tasks today. ...."

And so on. Then I program myself in the morning to do a small set of things, and then read the page, before I turn on the computer, before I do other things, before I've already wasted half the day surfing the web. (Uh, i'm a grad student.)

I keep the page throughout the day, and consult it. It's refreshingly narrative and low-tech and concise. Probably more useful for the people who are doing many long-term, largely self-driven projects like myself."

I have also automated this: I have a TextMate Project called "PJMorn" (i begin all my textmate projects with "PJ" so that they are quickly identified in QuickSilver) which contains, among other things:

morningmessage.txt
nextmorningmessage.txt

and I run a script called "morn" that, among other things, copies the nextmorningmessage.txt to morningmessage.txt, makes a new time-stamped morningmessage, and archives the old one.

here is the code (bash script):

http://www.umich.edu/~apape/Rice/43folders/

TOPICS: Projects

About duus

duus's picture

Bio

duus is an economist and musician who pursues automation of life with GTD, bash scripts, and vigilant mindfulness.

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »