43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

Daily Lists

Having read GTD quite a while ago now, I can't seem to remember if Allen mentioned any ways of creating daily lists. You know, the things that you do every day. For example - Check emails, clear voice mail, tidy desk, check calendar, diary, tickler etc . I'm just curious to how you guys manage these daily lists.

What I do, is every week when I do my weekly review is create a 'Dailys' excel file where I have a list of all the things I want to get done daily and I have a check box for each. This piece of paper is stuck on my desk. Personally I've found this a really effective way to get my daily things done, I get a sense of pleasure in ticking off items on the list. Being a graphic design student I've actually added in some other items that I would like to get done daily - such as complete one illustrator tutorial a day, and participate on graphic design forums (this idea sort of came from Steve Pavlina's 30 day trial idea).

Every week if I manage to get everything in my daily list checked off for a particular section, for example checking email, I challenge it for the next week and change 'check email' to 'check email - READ and REPLY'. This means I can't check this item off the list unless I've read through and replied to all my emails, so I don't just check to see there are emails. I will read through them all and reply to them (if required) as well.

Anyways, I just wanted to share that, and also wondering how you guys manage your daily rituals.

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »