43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

GTD and ClearContext

Hi,

I got the GTD audiobook about three months ago, since then I have been trying to get started with the methodology. A couple of weeks ago I decided to download ClearContext to try to see if it would help me manage my Inbox and jumpstart my use of GTD.

There are a some things that I like about this program:
1. One of my favorite things is the option to defer messages for a later time. I used to have my Inbox filled with messages that I wanted to get back to sometime in the future and did not want to move them to another folder for fear that I might forget about it. With this feature I can make the message dissappear and it shows up again in my inbox as a new message after the defer time has passed.

2. I also enjoy the prioritization of messages in my inbox. Since I use gmail to collect all my messages from different accounts and then use Outlook to download them to my PC, I get a lot of messages about work, personal or spam. With this feature I am able to see my most important messages at the top and spam usually ends up in the bottom of the list.

3. For filing away messages I can assign topics to messages and they are automatically stored away and out of my Inbox.

Thanks to ClearContext I am now able to keep my Inbox empty most of the time. However, I am also looking at other options. I would like to try to test using OneNote for all my other projects that do not arrive through my Inbox and has the advante that it also integrates with Outlook.

Finally, I would like to keep my Action List on my Smartphone, but that part I have not figured out yet. Writing on my smartphone with the keypad and t9 text is not easy.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to use OneNote and how to incorporate my Smartphone?

Thanks.

TOPICS: Windows

About turtlewax

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »