43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

Going Digital

This is a two-parter...

#1 Background

I had been using a Moleskine to keep a perpetual daily log, which was later to be transported to an electronic version, part of which would in turn be posted on my blog. However, the log would get backed up and I never seemed to reach the point of making it digital.

So, what I started doing lately is to just keep it digitally. I have vim open all the time with my log text file and I just add to it incrementally as the day goes by. Example:

#11305 12/12/06 Tue -

* 11:15 PM - Now I have to figure out how to realign my sleep.
* 12:33 AM - Hubert and I are at IHOP. The roads are so bare. I guess everyone is either gone or studying. I decided to get a chicken fried steak. I wonder when the food I've been eating will take it's toll -- I weighed myself earlier and showed no particular signs of damage. Hubert and I discussed our mutual need for a creative outlet.
* 07:11 AM - Amazing that so much time has passed. Here at home I ended up putting a song together (you wouldn't like it -- it's too noisy -- but you can listen if you want). I also gave The Name of the Rose a try, but I think I am going to opt for the "His Dark Materials":http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/His_Dark_Materials trilogy instead.

#2 Question

The other way I keep this beast in check is to have the log file open on my PDA whenever I am away from my computer (the text file lives on an SD card I move back and forth). I had been trying different ways of inputting information, and eventually settled on the keyboard. I use a Pocket PC and it works pretty great with the word completion.

However, I just discovered Fitaly, which uses a different keyboard configuration (the most used keys are in the center) that is designed for typing with a single finger or stylus: http://fitaly.com/wince/pocketpcfitaly.htm

Anybody have any thoughts on or experiences with this?

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »