43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

Context lists: I've had an afflatus!

In addition to finally being able to log on for real (I was starting to feel like a real Nobby No-Mates: even the intertubes don't like me, sob choke:( ).

Anyway, I've been all a-lurk for a while now, and I've just had an afflatus which drove me here. It's about context lists, and how, as Merlin has pointed out, they're not quite so easy for geeks as for management or sales folks.

Stop me if I'm wiffling, but it struck me that the context lists are basically a means of reducing the number of NAs we have to consider when choosing what to do next. We remove from consideration anything that we physically can't do from where we are.

Now it's possible to extend that to some degree by reference to what software/projects (in the sense of software dev projects for clients) we've got open. For instance, if my list tells me I could do work on the EvilCorp World Domination 0.98 project, but I don't have it open in Eclipse, then I won't be doing that. I'm too lazy to open it up just for a 10-minute task.

Alas, I've usually got everything open all the time. My desktop is like the finale of a musical, with everyone on stage. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

So. I was posting a comment about context lists on another forum when it hit me: The David says that our choices of what to do next depend on context, energy level, time available, and so on. So why not shoehorn some of those into the role of contexts?

Time is tricky, unless you're proficient at micro-estimates of time. I'm not. But for those that are, you could have context lists for 5, 10, 15 minutes, etc, if those are the chunks of time you have in the interstices of your day.

Or you could categorise based on energy level and how you feel. I know that when I feel crap, I really don't fancy talking on the phone, so I won't even look at my phone list. So how about lists like @I've Used Up All My Brain, @Cruising Comfortably, and @Focused Like A Zen Master? Given that phone and computer are all within arm's reach anyway, and given that I choose what to do based on how I feel anyway, why not structure my lists that way?

I'd be interested to hear if anyone's tried this, or something similar.

About unstuffed

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »