43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

Great TODO List - Motivation Lacking?

Greetings. I am new to GTD and have yet to read the book, but I plan on doing that. I have always been a todo list person, and even have it broke out in a fashion that many are recommending.

I do have ADHD and am easily distracted, and typically find that things come up, that are not on my todo list, that I make a priority, which are not at all. I tend to procrastinate to no end, and when I have projects (many) with no dead lines, they seem to go and go and go.

Based on what I have read, I have taken time to take a new approach to email, keeping updated on news, and trying the various TODO software and web sites available, based on GTD.

The problem is, even if I am 100% organized, I have a hard time getting over hurdles, especially larger projects or projects that seem difficult in my head, even if not really. I know that when I really come to an empass and feeling bad about myself and my lack of productivity, I can start nailing out the "little tasks" and get things done, and feel good. But eventually, those little tasks run out and I am left with only big things.

I have read that those with ADHD should typically do fun things first, and not-so-fun things later. That is an interesting approach as it addresses the distraction issue, that if you save your dessert for later, your constantly looking forward to that and not focusing in the meal at hand. By eating the dessert first, your less distracting when eating the meal.

My problem is, if I take that approach 100%, I will never eat the meal. But the meal is what provides the money to keep life and family functional.

How do you approach the todo list and manage tasks that seem to have no real deadline.

About Scottw

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »