43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

Recommendations on Call/Email history using Outlook and GTD plugin

How do I apply the GTD methodology within Outlook 2002 (and using the GTD plugin) to keep track of all of the job-hunting email and phone correspondence I have with different people? How do I use the calendar, tasks, and journal functions to track all of my correspondence with each person (not so much per company)?

Here's how I currently use things:

I use the CALENDAR to mark specific work and non-work related events.

I currently use TASKS to prioritize work and non-work related activities... "call Joe Smith about a possible job", "get an oil change", "call the electric company about my bill", etc. I also use an A-D grading scale to determine how important each task is.

I use the JOURNAL function to date/time stamp each phone call or email I have with a contact.

One of the things I'm wondering is if I should create a new journal entry for every new phone call or email with the same person or if I should create a single journal entry for each person and keep a list of the various phone calls and email exchanges within. Since I use Gmail for work-related emails, I am currently copying the key information from those emails into the journal entries. I'm sure this can't be efficient!

How do I handle marking a contact as, "they don't have work for me now but will keep my resume on file". Currently I have an action called "@Inactive Waiting For" which means that, for now, I won't be talking/emailing with them but should follow up with them in a month or two.

TOPICS: Windows

About Dalsik

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »