43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

My lofi system isn't working as well as I had hoped. Help needed.

I work full time (~50 hours a week) in addition to being a full time grad student at night. GTD clicked with me, and initially really helped reduce the stress. The problem is that my systems haven't been working out as well as I'd really like them to, and I was hoping to get some feedback from others who use similar methods to see how I can improve.

I'll break it into a few different parts:
- Items I carry with me
- My home stuff
- My office

On my person, I carry a moleskine ruled pocket notebook and a pilot precise V7 pen. I really like the look and feel of both of them. The moleskine is divided into a few sections. All pages are numbered and the first 6 pages or so are an index. From there, up to page 90, I have space reserved for various projects that I take on. Just little bits of information like "why I'm doing this", information like phone numbers/addresses/etc, and a list of actions for each project. Inside the cover of the moleskine, I carry two 3x5 cards. The sides are labelled like so: "Next@Home", "Next@School", "Next@Work", and the last side is divided in two "Calls" and "Waiting For". As I cross actions off the next action list, I go through and add new next actions from my projects. The second half of the moleskine is reserved for raw data capture. Phone numbers, maps of where I'm going, etc.

At home, I have a tickler file and a box of a bunch of manila folders for various projects and information I want to keep. I also have a wire basket inbox. I have a calendar on the wall.

At work, I also have a tickler file and file cabinets for information. On the wall is also a calendar.

Here are my problems:

On my person, I don't have a calendar. I tried printing out some on 3x5's, but they didn't seem to work. I tried carrying a seperate calendar, but that didn't work either. I don't know how to solve this issue, I need to be able to keep track of dates somehow.

At home, I can't seem to get into the habit of regularly going to my desk. This is a big problem, because it means stuff stacks up in my inbox and my tickler file and calendar are downright useless. I can't seem to nail down a specific time to do a weekly review, because something always comes up.

At work, my inbox keeps growing and growing. I have one very important process that takes up a huge amount of my time that I can't delay or give to someone else. While I'm working on this task, I'm constantly interupted and sidetracked. It's a struggle to keep up. In the meantime, I can't seem to find the time to go through other, less important projects and they keep getting pushed back in the tickler file. The main process is about 6" of paper that sits in my inbox and I can't seem to get it empty (I did about 3" worth yesterday, only to see it fill completely back up today.)

I'm on the verge of completely dumping both tickler files. They just don't seem to be working for me, and are just causing a big delay in things getting done as I move things back further and further while I try to catch up. The calendars aren't working for me either.

What can I do to improve my mess? Help!

TOPICS: Lofi

About baraqyal

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »