43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

Rollabind/Circa vs. Legal Pads

Hi everyone!

I've watched the whole Levenger Circa phenomenon online with some interest. Could someone please explain the superiority of Rollabind/Circa to a system based on index cards, legal pads, and manilla folders? (Besides the better writing surface for those of you who have a fountain pen fetish?)

Index cards and legal pads have the same (if not superior) modularity -- there is barely any cost/effort involved in opening up a new file, and you can travel as light or as heavy as you want.

Manilla folders with labels provide high visibility of all reference material -- scan the file drawer and you can see an index of all projects, topics, etc.

Legal pads and manilla folders are exceptionally cheap. One could argue that cheapness of the paper is conducive to brainstorming, drafting -- some people are less likely to scribble random thoughts and doodles on expensive paper.

Three-hole punch systems are universally available -- they work fine with legal pad paper.

Really easy to dump the contents of a manilla folder for visibility, rearrangement. I've watched the Circa videos and it seems like you have to remove and insert pages ever so gently. Might be tough for those of us with a rougher style.

Why am I writing this post? I think its because I want to innoculate myself against the temptation of plunking down money on a Circa. Or perhaps I'm trying to find reasons to buy one. Take your pick.

TOPICS: Lofi

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »