43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

newbie question about contexts vs. projects

I've read "Getting Things Done" twice and not done much with it but I've finally got a hold of a copy of "Getting Things Done - Fast" audio program and am moving more toward a GTD system for tracking my projects. I've got a couple questions...

First off, I find that paper is easier for me than electronic. I am a computer programmer, so many of my tasks are in front of the computer, but the computer seems to just get in the way when it comes to managing my todo list. Come to think of it, the computer seems to get in the way of just about everything except checking email, surfing the web, and programming. With that in mind, I've run into some issues and questions with paper.

When I write down a project, I try to do one project per page, and then list out the next actions to complete the project. It then seems like I would need to go through all my project lists onto my context lists. Is there a better way to do this than going through all my projects and put all the @phone actions on my @phone list?

Also, I know David Allen is opposed to daily todo lists, but I find having a big list of stuff to do overwhelms me... If I put 3 - 5 things todo on a list, do them, and then repeat I seem to get more done. Anyone else find this? Is there a good way of doing this with GTD?

I also find that I do like the searchability (if that's a word) of keeping things in electronic format but like I said feel better working with paper. So what's the solution? Two systems? Copy important stuff over from paper into my electronic system?

About supenguin

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »