43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

GTD and Programming: Experience and questions

So, at my job I have a bugtracker for projects currently in development, a workflow manager for changes/bugs that existing clients have, email, and a pretty open policy on bothering others. It's actually not as bad as it sounds, but sometimes it's hard to keep organized. My first attempt at GTD had me using iGTD and basically F6-ing emails and bugs/workflows. I treated these sources of input as just another inbox with items to be processed. At first it seemed to work fine, but after a couple days it became overkill. The bugs/workflows have to be updated on their respective systems anyways, and the iGTD list was always becoming stale. Nowadays, I come into work, read email, look at the workflow manager, bugtracker, etc. Then I write the items I want to address on post-its. The one I'm currently working on goes on my laptop. This works a lot better but seems very un-GTDish.

I'm sure there are other programmers out there. How do you deal with something like a bugtracker in a GTD-ish fashion?

About datacaliber

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »