43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

Jott and Privacy Concerns

I know a few of you use the Jott service to capture ideas on the go. If you do, you're familiar with the Daily Jott e-mails. I enjoy quickly reviewing my Daily Jott, but this morning I ran into a slight problem.

I received a Daily Jott e-mail as I do every day, but today's Daily Jott belonged to another user. Somehow, someone else's Jotts had been mistakenly delivered to my mailbox. The Jotts I received were full of personal client information - names, phone numbers, policy numbers, and the like.

I immediately contacted Jott and forwarded them the e-mail. This afternoon I received a response from Jott ensuring me that my own data had not been distributed and that this was the result of a test system malfunction. I'm not a techie, nor do I know how Jott routes its data to its users, but I was told that this event affected only one user. Jott took the issue very seriously, shut down the offending system, and notified the user. I appreciate how quickly they took care of this problem, and informed me of what they did.

It was a reminder to me that, regardless of privacy policies, encryption, or other methods of safeguarding personal data, errors do happen. We should be cautious of the data we may be providing to others. I've been debating whether Jott's many benefits now outweigh its privacy concerns. The jury's still out on that one, but in the mean time, I just wanted to remind everyone to play it safe with their data. Ultimately, you don't know who may have access to it once its online.

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »