43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

Someday, Maybe Never- project or context?

I recently moved a load of actions from a project (things to write about in my tech blog) [1] into my Someday, Maybe Never project, and then it suddenly struck me that maybe it wasn't a project at all, but a context. It makes sense if you think about it from the Contexts view - when you're executing, you just look at the context you're in at the time (calls, errands etc) and because you've never given one of your active contexts to the actions, you never see them in your current context context. In Projects/Planning mode, they're probably just single action projects anyway, because you've not put sufficient thought into them for them to acquire any structure. The benefits of treating SMN as a context to me include:

• Not having a single, ever-growing SMN 'lump' that makes you feel like you're deferring too much, and tempts you to keep thinking about the things you've filed in there to check whether they really can wait
  • Keeping Projects views focused on real, actual projects with no Maybe distractions

Maybe this makes no sense to anyone but me. Thoughts?

[1] the reason is, I'm trying to work out how to get paid for writing that stuff, and refocusing my unpaid writing time on something more creative

About spride

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »