43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

Tabula Rasa or What would you do if you were starting over in a brand new environment?

Most people are rarely lucky enough to have the chance to ask for help like I am. I think our resident alliterative basket case would call this a first world problem.

I just started a new job (an IT internship for a large corporation), and my cube is bare. I fetched a few supplies for the desk, but before I go further getting myself situated, I wanted to ping you guys. What would you do if you had essentially no constraints on a new setup?

Here's some info about the parameters: 1) Windows XP with Outlook for email. This isn't negotiable. 2) Can't install apps on the computer. Mobile apps should be OK, so I can use Firefox, et al once I install it on my flash drive. 3) Cube with a locker, four drawers (one for files, doy.), two overhead shelves/cabinets, and an open shelf.

For my personal system, I rock an iPhone and hPDA for actions. I don't want work to bleed over into my personal time so I think I'm open to a new setup for work. But I do love my index cards.

So, what say you 43folders friends?

About Berko

Berko's picture

Bio

Berko is otherwise known as Jamie Phelps. He runs a web design business in addition to pursuing a degree at TCU. Jamie is married to his wonderful wife Ann Margaret and they have eight pets and a fish.

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »