43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

Starting out with GTD

Hi everyone.

I bought a paperback copy of GTD some time ago, flicked through it idly, and have only just got around to sitting down and reading it properly. I'm about halfway through, and have a question about fitting it to my situation.

Some background: I'm a graphic design student, currently finishing my second-last year.

I live with friends in a sharehouse, and will for the forseeable future. This means my bedroom is my main workspace for my coursework and odd freelance gig, and that I'm liable to move house once every year or two. I use the machines at uni quite a bit, but they're shared (so neither the space nor software setup is really customisable), and all my books/notes/reference stuff is at home.

With my final year of uni starting in a few months, after the summer break (southern hemisphere!), I'm in dire need of a good, functioning organisational system: I'm easily distracted by all the other projects I have going at any one time, and deadlines often creep up on me. GTD seems like a good fit with a great community built around it.

The thing that seems to be stopping me from getting through GTD, though, is the very corporate/business-y angle DA seems to be coming from.

No-one I know my age has a filing cabinet, and the idea of a physical "inbox" on my desk makes me imagine fluorescent lights and beige cubicles. What do I need an automatic labelmaker for? I'd take less time writing out labels by hand, and prefer the look of my own handwriting to low-res thermal printer type.

Anyway, you get the idea. Reading through the posts here, it seems you're all from quite varied backgrounds. So, my question is: How can I adapt the GTD system to my situation? Or do I just need to adapt to it?

Thanks for reading! Love to hear your thoughts (or pointers to similar questions or issues that have been raised in the past).

About poisontofu

poisontofu's picture

Bio

coffee/headphone/bike

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »