43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

ClearContext 4 Review - New Dashboard feature good for GTD

About a year ago I discovered ClearContext, a plugin for Microsoft Outlook that helps you manage your inbox. I tried it and wrote my comments here on this forum (http://www.43folders.com/forum/2006/10/20/gtd-and-clearcontext)

I never was able to really get working on GTD, but not because of the software, mainly because of me. However, ClearContext and some of the GTD concepts have helped me in keeping my Inbox almost empty most of the time. I will not repeat myself, but the "Defer" and "Unsuscbribe" features that I described in the other post have been a great help

One of the things that I found lacking in Outlook was a centralized place were I could view all my information related to a Project (For me Topics in ClearContext) or to a context (for my actions). Searching on the Internet I found the JelloDashboard which has been a great solution until ClearContext implemented the Dashboard on their new version.

Now I have been using this new feature to view in one place all my messages, tasks, and appointments that are related to a specific Topic (Project) or Category (Context). It has the advantage that is visually appealing (althought, I wish I could change the text size or knew how to do it) and easy to use.

In a similar fashion to my Inbox, I can color code the task that show in the Dashboard so that is easier for me to identify overdue tasks, tasks due today, tasks with no due date, etc.

Another new feature that I think will be very helpful is the "Do not disturb" button. I easily get distracted by incomming mails that keep popping up while I work on some task. I know I could change how often i check for messages, but it is a pain to go into setup and change it everytime. Now I will try this button that stops all alerts so that I can concentrate on my work

I think this is the best plugin for Outlook if you want to implement GTD.

LA

TOPICS: Windows, app, GTD

About turtlewax

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »