43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

Handling Non-Dated, but Important Next Actions (OmniFocus, GTD method)

I currently use OmniFocus to implement my GTD method. I find it to be about the best organization app and I live and breath by it and iCal. I try to keep my inbox at zero, and I feel as though I am running with all four on the floor and while that might look funny, my system seems to work for me.

HOWEVER...

In OmniFocus, I typically tag things with a start day of TODAY (to track when it was entered) unless it has a specific start date that happens in the future. For example, if I need to change the oil in the car, I might put the start date for Saturday with an expiration of Sunday so that it will be "front center" when I reference OmniFocus on what I need to get done come Saturday/Sunday.

Let's say that the kids get sick, unannounced visitors show up at your front door to stay and a last minute project from a client all combined means, getting the oil changed is last on your list.

Come Monday... WHAT DO I DO WITH THAT ACTION?

If the car is not in danger of being damaged and I don't have time to deal with getting the oil changed during the week, do I go in and set a new start/stop date for the following weekend? What if I have a repeat weekend? My due dates become FLUFF.

I have this issue with MOST of my tasks and hence my post here. The oil change is just an example, but it might be a something like fixing a bug on my site. It is not a show stopper, paid clients come before it, but I really need to address it.

So, what happens is my "DUE in the last week/month" starts to grow and expand and this is not good for motivation with a big backlog. The GTD method says that we should not assign a DUE DATE to a specific next action UNLESS it truly is due that day. Fair enough. BUT, I have a TON of next actions and single actions that just keep growing that unless I put an expiration date on them, they lose place with things I have given an expiration, whether or not they truly have one.

Perhaps it's how I am organizing my information in OmniFocus, being more date centric. Perhaps there is a better way to manage next actions that may not be date centric for prioritization.

About Scottw

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »