43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

An Ikea is opening down the street...

The following is a copy of my latest blog post on the new Ikea opening in Cincinnati. I hope that my words or the photoshop job (attached image) I did does not offend anyone, that's not my intention... just voicing my thoughts, and trying to make some sense of some crazy things.

"You think about that Virgin Records Store by your office? Think about it, it's this entire edifice... of plastic and a little bit of paper... and some warm carbon-based lifeforms punching in numbers. Do we realize how... that's like something from the 20's? It's unbelievable."
-Merlin Mann

I heard that a few days back on a the Macbreak Weekly podcast discussing buying online music and it got me thinking how much that "1920's" mindframe seems to still apply to a lot of merchandise these days. Then just yesterday I read in CinWeekly a few articles about the new Ikea store opening next Wednesday in West Chester and had to laugh. This is a large store, of warehouse quantity, in which people flock by the droves to buy... furniture and stuff to put in their house. People go out of their way to flock here like its Mecca, they camp to get there on the first day... for stuff.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w7/leadster618/feb08conceptart/IKEAME...

What?! Am I the only one who cannot figure this out? Ikea will not suddenly stop selling their Jonas drawer unit or Alexander chair because you aren't there on the first day to buy it. So why are people caring so much? It's not like Ikea is the only furniture store open that day. Is it really the design? And are the people who decide to "camp out" able to acknowledge the pieces for the design value they apparently have? Not sure. Maybe its the quality for the price? Well, that's not what I'm hearing... especially when Ikea becomes the butt of so many jokes...

Now for the most part, pretty much everything sold there has a function. I agree that they are filling the desire of the shopper when they need a bed, drawers, etc. But I have to admit, the opening of this store seems a bit overblown, by both shoppers and Ikea. Here are some excerpts from the Cin Weekly article on the rules and regulations for day one:

"- You must stay on the Ikea premises at all times until the store opens. The only times you may leave the lineup area are for a 10-minute bathroom or smoking break.

- You may not participate in another Ikea promotion within the next 12 months.

- Guests cannot sleep in their vehicles. No barbecue equipment, open flames or electric heaters are permitted.

- Line saving will not be tolerated; Ikea security will be conducting line checks. If you are found to be away from the lineup area during a check and do not return within 10 minutes, you will forfeit any prizes.

- Family and friends may visit or bring you food/supplies while you are waiting in line, but you may not leave and come back.

- Participants will be required to sign a liability and publicity release and are not permitted to advertise any other business while on Ikea property - this includes clothing or anything displaying another company's logo."

[http://cinweekly.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080304/COV/80304003/1076/rss01]

As if these crazy rules aren't 1920's sounding enough, you should see the Ikea fanfare events surrounding the opening. The submitted shoppers seem to be walking advertisements for Ikea as it is:

" 'I was getting exact dates for when the announcement was coming,' she recalls - and her dreams came true the day she found out Ikea would be opening eight miles from her home...

While she is sad she'll miss the opening, she can't wait to visit the West Chester store

I'm expecting craziness ... The buzz here has been tremendous"

[http://cinweekly.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080304/COV/803050315/1076/rss01]

Again I ask... What?! How did we ever survive without our ready to assemble press-board furniture before?! This must be the way of the future! [That was sarcasm, Ikea faithful]. The whole "no clothing displaying other logos" thing reminds me of old time Ward Boss tactics to drum up votes! I mean what kind of PR group does Ikea have to make their store this big of an event? Does this remind anyone else of a capitalistic journey to mecca? I mean both ARE boxed shape... you just end up worshipping different things when you go...

Welcome to Cincinnati, Ohio Ikea. It seems you have been able to take your cultural heritage of ... mass produced furniture... to America, where consumerism is the religion of choice. Enjoy your profit.

Now if you don't mind I need to get back to building these "great" drawers I bought for practically nothing! Where did I put the Allen wrench? Nevermind, they gave me one! Gotta love the Swedish...

Love to hear some thoughts... on the idea of Ikea. I'm an Industrial Design student so Ikea has become a love/hate object for us. It has good and bad things, and we are always confused how to think of it...

About Brandon_Leedy

Brandon_Leedy's picture

Bio

Brandon is an Industrial Design Student who goes to DAAP. He's not that great at what he does... but he's learning.

Blog: http://industrialdesignlife.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @BrandonLeedy

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »