43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

clarifying question on the "hipster pda" -- a joke... right?

Hi all,

There are some fantastic ideas on this site. Then there are some not so fantastic ideas on this site. When in doubt, I let my students have a look and tell me their gut reaction. So when they saw the (now aging) discussion over the "hipster PDA" some days ago, it caused some of the most raucous fits of laughter all year.

They, and now I, would like to know whether the "pen-and-paper PDA" was a big joke... right? I mean, are people really congratulating each other for carrying around paper and a pen in their pocket to keep track of their lives? Er, did we just reinvent something? Most of my students are from upper Harlem. They don't come from families that can buy $600 Treo devices so for them, a crumpled napkin and a half-broken pencil is about as efficient and good of a "PDA" as anything else. Except they don't call it the "hipster PDA"--as they chimed in yesterday, they call it "common sense." As one of them concluded, next thing we know, we'll be hearing about blog posts about how awesome it is to read a book in paper form rather than online, because that way we can take notes in real-time without digital mediation, and that increases productivity, and hence it is an amazing idea.

Or a big joke.

TOPICS: Ask 43f

About mlulzyname

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »