43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

Duplicate Files and folder merging

I've searched a bit around this forum and others, and not found particularly useful information on merging and otherwise distilling duplicate files in Leopard and possibly Windows. In particular I have nested folders on two macs and a win xp machine that I would like to merge and synchronize. Currently I'm syncing the macs with Chronosync, but I'd like to merge the data from the windows machine and sync all three ideally. I could conceivably de-nest everything using some scripting to handle obvious duplicates, and then give everything a new hierarchy once cleaned up. But I'd like to explore a more eloquent solution as I value my time and efficiency somewhat more...

Is there anybody who has used Araxis Merge and has an opinion to share? http://www.araxis.com/merge_mac/topic_features.html

Is there anybody who has used DupeGuru and has an opinion to share? http://www.hardcoded.net/dupeguru/

Can Merlin's beloved Pathfinder handle duplicate finding and or folder merging with files and folders containing duplicates in differing trees?

Can Chronosync do something along these lines that I've missed?

arri

About arriflex

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »