43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

Conflicting keyboard shortcuts

I have long been a keyboard shortcut sucker and for good reason. They rule all. Anyway. Now that I have begun using and customizing Quicksilver, and Growl, and other stuff... I find that some keyboard shortcuts that I use are coming into conflict with other keyboard shortcuts. This came to a head the other day when I was using OmniOutliner Pro and needed to insert the current date: CMD+/ Well, this was also the keyboard shortcut I had set for my GrowlClock. When I need to know what time it is, I invoke GC and get the time and I have saved a chunk of menubar real estate. Well, then I changed the GrowlClock shortcut to something else, but then when I was pressing it, it wasn't invoking the clock because some other app was taking the keyboard shortcut first. Another example is my iTunes triggers. I thought CMD+CTRL+arrows was a good idea for controlling iTunes since it's essentially the same as the ones for working in iTunes. Well, CMD+CTRL+up/down are also used by OOP for moving rows up and down respectively.

All that is the long way to ask: How do you guys keep your keyboard shortcuts playing nice with one another? Do you keep a list? Do you use really bizarre keycombos that no app developer would ever think to use? Something else? Basically, if you were going to set up a QS trigger, what would your criteria be for making sure it didn't interfere with anything else?

Berko

TOPICS: Mac OS X

About Berko

Berko's picture

Bio

Berko is otherwise known as Jamie Phelps. He runs a web design business in addition to pursuing a degree at TCU. Jamie is married to his wonderful wife Ann Margaret and they have eight pets and a fish.

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »