43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

Hello, fellow strivers...

Hey folks...

Great board, I really appreciate the community that's demonstrated here.

We're a Lotus Notes shop here at work -- so I'll share my system, and some current struggles.

1. Notes Calendar and email, of course, and I use the "Personal Journal" note function and the address book. I also use the miserable "To Do" function, since it's integrated -- although vastly inferior to Palm Desktop, and many others.

2. This is all synchronized with a Blackberry I carry around at all times.

3. I print my daily calendar each morning, and then write the day's actions on it -- by perusing my electronic To Do. At the end of the day I update the electronic stuff and throw the paper away.

4. Key Lotus Notes tip for anyone who's interested: document links work well when you are @computer -- when you get an email and decide what the next action is, copy the email as a link, file it where it should go, and then paste the link in a new To Do for the action. This goes for projects, too -- I've got some electronic notes with 5-10 doc links to all of the relevant info.

Current struggles:
A. Resisting the urge to constantly check email.
B. Resisting the urge to check email on my Blackberry when I'm not in a convenient place to process it.
C. I've gotten pretty good at identifying and doing today's "must do's", but I struggle with moving to the "next most important actions on the list" without traveling through "significant time-wasting distractions".
D. Following from C., I feel I've got a lot of stuff I'm not getting to -- although I realize it's not time-critical.
E. Managing address information (especially email addresses) between my system at work and my personal email in Yahoo.

That should be enough to get started...

About EmptyInBox

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »