43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

Ideal bag for mobile lifestyle

I'm having some trouble with my bag situation. Right now, I am carrying my LLBean backpack. This works pretty well for the most part. What it doesn't do so well is manage my laptop's cables and adapters well. I carry my charging brick and it's extension, retractable USB cables for my cell phone and iPod, display adapters for my Powerbook, a retractable firewire cable (just in case I need to do target mode), the cable for my digital camera (I know this isn't entirely necessary most of the time, and I could make this better by getting a retractable one.), and I think that's all... Then, I carry my moleskine (the smaller one), a mead marble memo pad, another journal for writing song lyrics and chord progressions I come up with, mints, Advil, antibacterial lotion, Crabtree & Evelynn Gardener's Hand Therapy, at least one book that I am supposed to be reading in for class, at least one legal pad and a steno pad, a couple file folders of project support material, and some spare file folders.

What I would like is a messenger style bag that handles my laptop and its cables as well as handling my other life stuff. I also want it to fit my 12" Powerbook nicely. I think I will get one to fit a 15" though so that if/when I get a MacBookPro it will still work. It would also be nice to not have to carry a separate gym bag if at all possible. Since I am on the move a lot, I also want a stabilizer strap to keep the thing from bouncing on my hip. So far, the "Embarrassment" line from Crumpler seems to fit what I want, but I would like to know what my fellow boarders think. Have you used these bags? Do you recommend something else?

About Berko

Berko's picture

Bio

Berko is otherwise known as Jamie Phelps. He runs a web design business in addition to pursuing a degree at TCU. Jamie is married to his wonderful wife Ann Margaret and they have eight pets and a fish.

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »