43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

Preparing for more money

I'm not sure if Grabass is the best place to post this, but it's a belt and suspenders choice. I am beginning a new degree program which will take me in a different, much more lucrative career path. I am looking just a little more than two years down the road when I will be making almost triple the salary of what my wife and I bring home combined right now. I should make a disclaimer that I am already in school and would be for the next three to five years anyway if I went ahead with my plans to get a Ph.D. in my current field. The new degree will effectively take less time (two years full time and a third year of nine total hours while working full time) and be more profitable. Anyway, I am trying to make financial plans for the family for this change. I have planned out 2008 (I'll start working full time in May) like this: wife continues to work through end of year; pay off credit cards; begin repayment on (my) student loans in November; continue making payments on wife's student loans. At the end of 2008, we will be free of all our consumer debt and 2009 is when we will be able to start focusing on saving and investing. My difficulty has been in ascertaining what our expenses will be at that time, how to begin planning for having kids, and how best to diversify our investments in order to achieve our goals. (We are pretty sure we will invest a good deal in real estate.)

The purpose of all this is being able to plot where/when milestones will occur to keep us focused and optimistic. Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? I suspect that it is a bit premature to talk to (and pay) a financial planner. What do you all say?

TOPICS: Grabass

About Berko

Berko's picture

Bio

Berko is otherwise known as Jamie Phelps. He runs a web design business in addition to pursuing a degree at TCU. Jamie is married to his wonderful wife Ann Margaret and they have eight pets and a fish.

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »