43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

GTD in the IT Profession

I was wanting to see what other IT professionals are using for their system. What kinda blends of HiFi/LoFi do you employ? What contexts do you use? What contexts do you have but don't use very well? Are you blending personal with job?

I sometimes struggle with my system because of the REACTIVE nature of my job. I am a 1-man IT Dept. and while I do have projects that fit really well into my system, there are the unpredictables that make me stress out...email is down, cannot print to XXX, and the always important, My system is SOOOO slow today.

My contexts are:
* @Calls
* @Waiting For

* @Work [general context, may leave system]
* @Support [support issues for my users]
* @Servers [anything that has to deal with my 3 servers: 1 prod, 2 test]
* @Network [any network issues]

* @Website [both job website and personal website stuff]

* @Home [general context]
* @Warcraft [things to do in MMORPG World of Warcraft]
* @Payments [Bills I need to pay]
* @Errands [general errands]
* @Reading [things that I am currently reading]
* @Purchase [things that I want to get]

* BrainDump [where I just dump NAs to be processed later]
* Someday/Maybe

Right now I am still using the Tracks, for to-dos and projects, with a Moleskine, for a hard landscape.

But the hPDA seems soo cool...ARGHHH!

I hear a lot about Google (which went live today)...should I replace my Moleskines?!?

I guess I need to stop tweaking and just use it and shut up.

Anyway, I just like to see how others implement GTD in their lives, esp. those with similar interest (or jobs) to me.

Michael

About michaelramm

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »