43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

Kinkless VoodooPad?

Hello, I'm new here.

I'm also new to GTD, but from everything I've seen, I've been doing it in a modified version to one degree or another, using my head steno pad. I come from a line of list-makers, and it works. Well enough. I've always wanted to digitize the process, but all of my attempts to use basic to-do managers always failed misserably. Someone mentioned GTD Tidy Wiki, and I liked the idea, but didn't know enough about GTD or frankly the setup to make it work right.

One thing lead to another and I stumbled upon 43Folders and what not, and discovered Kinkless. I'd been using OOP for 6 months or more as my primary note-taking/drafting/creation app, and while I liked it, but it required too much meta time to get it to do what I wanted, but I am/was wanted to give kGTD a try, and I've finally gotten it to a point where I work with it. And it finally is both sophisticated enough to take care of most of my concerns (so I really like how automatically files things away appropriatly).

The nature of my projects changed this semester (yeah, I'm an academic/student type), and with the update of VoodooPad (which I somehow missed when it happened). The tabbed browsing/editing and multiple window features really make this the ultimate app for, just about everything that involves text. So I've reverted back to VP, and I currently use it for almost everything.

My question then, is, would it be possible to create (or for that matter are there already) a set of plugins/scripts that one could use to generate the content in VP pages for context specific lists, adgenda views, next action views, and so forth, without needing to footwork the items from one page to another by hand (or by quicksilver, even qs can't argue with automatic)?

If you could do a GTD implementation inside of an existing VP document, you could, then, have actions and projects a and context related lists export to your ipod, or a flash drive, and so forth. As well as having projects and actions automatically (or nearly so) link dirrectly from your GTD data.

I'm a social scientist, not a programer, so about all I can do is stick my finger in my ear and say "gosh wouldn't it be cool, if..." I used to be able to think conceptually in programer, but I don't have any practical suggestions that anyone would find particularly usefull I fear...

About tychoish

tychoish's picture

Bio

Knitter. Writer. Queer. Student.

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »