43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

Gradual start vs. mindsweep (aka crash and burn)

I gave up GTD for a couple of months (when my life got too hectic).

I found that I had built up way too many projects in my system, which was causing me unecessary stress. Lack of weekly review was probably the chief culprit, which meant that my list contained many project definitions that were outdated. I needed to pare down to the basics.

I am, however, starting up again and would like to toss a question out there:

Which method for starting up do you prefer--a gradual start or a full mind sweep?

I know that even posing the question violates GTD orthodoxy. The book seems to suggest that you won't trust your system until you've gotten everything out of your head.

I've found, however, that I need to feel confident my system before I can entrust everything to it. If I overload the GTD system with a full mind sweep, I find myself with a huge list of projects and actions and no forward motion. It's like the difference between moving a stationary car and pushing one that's already moving.

Since my default organizational method is to keep things in my mind, it's easy to begin introducing stuff into a system without having "everything" in it. This time around, I began with the most crucial stuff on my mind--the stuff due in a few days time. Then, I gradually introduced other stuff on my mind; this got me in the habit of collecting thoughts and processing inbox material. Within a couple of weeks, I had a fully functioning system. This time, however, the whole startup process felt much more organic. I got in the habit of scanning smaller lists; then, gradually I became more confident dealing with larger lists.

Anyway, I'd be curious to hear what other people think.

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »