43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

Finding the perfect PIM app

I was reminded in another thread of my quest for the perfect application. I'm sure many here need to keep track of meetings, apppointments, todo's journals, etc and use some sort of application for this (MSoutlook on windows for example).
I'm looking for something better now, my issue is that most PIM type of apps mimic paper planners which do not allow linking differing data. Using most PIM apps I find that I have to check the todo's view/page/screen to see what tasks I have then look at the calendar to see what meetings I have then go to the journal to write some notes as to what i have done. A lot of these programs have some sort of page which will combine these a little bit so you can see what is scheduled for today but if you want to look back in history what do you do? Mainly to do with the subject of journaling and what have I done with my life, I have to look in journals, todo's, calendars to find everything that happened for a period of time. I'm trying to figure out how to combine these. I think some sort of software is needed that just presents you with a timeline and lets you make notes as the time passes. Currently i do this by making calendar entries and assigning categoties for various projects but it still takes a bit of manual work. How does anyone journal your life's work?

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »