43 Folders

Back to Work

Merlin’s weekly podcast with Dan Benjamin. We talk about creativity, independence, and making things you love.

Join us via RSS, iTunes, or at 5by5.tv.

”What’s 43 Folders?”
43Folders.com is Merlin Mann’s website about finding the time and attention to do your best creative work.

Lots of new index card carriers

I took a lunchtime trip to Office Despot to get square-ruled index cards today, and found that the available options for carrying index cards around have increased since the last time I checked.

I didn't have a camera with me, and I can't find images for these, but I thought I'd tell y'all about them anyway. The maker of all these is Mead (the index cards were the Office Depot house brand).

I picked up an "index card carrier", which is translucent green plastic, 3x5, with square corners and curved front and back faces, and a hinged door that opens the top and part of the back. Possibly somewhat hard to describe, but it's basically a hard case for a hipster PDA. It claims to hold 50 index cards, and comes with 25; it only costs about two dollars. Because the front and back are curved, it fits into a front pants pocket somewhat more smoothly than a 3x5 notebook. I'm not sure I'll actually use this; I just bought it to see what it was like, and it was only $2 or so.

They have something essentially the same as a Moleskine Memo Pocket mini for $4 or so. The material of the folds is a bit thinner than the Memo Pocket, and the cover is cloth rather than whatever Moleskines are. On the positive side, the closure is somewhat better than a memo pocket: it's an elastic loop that goes over a flat hook on the front cover from the back. Could be nice if you couldn't find a Memo Pocket, or wanted one for cheaper.

There's also a somewhat larger, cloth-covered heavy cardboard box with a four-way elastic band that goes over the open top of the box to hold the cards in, and also holds one card to the front of the box. It looks like it would hold about 150 cards. This one is possibly a little dubious because it is too large for pocket use, but not large enough to hold all the index cards you'll ever accumulate.

Hopefully someone with extreme prodnography-fu will find pictures of all these and post them

TOPICS: Lofi

About jason.mcbrayer

EXPLORE 43Folders THE GOOD STUFF

Popular
Today

Popular
Classics

An Oblique Strategy:
Honor thy error as a hidden intention

STAY IN THE LOOP:

Subscribe with Google Reader

Subscribe on Netvibes

Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe on Pageflakes

Add RSS feed

The Podcast Feed

Cranking

Merlin used to crank. He’s not cranking any more.

This is an essay about family, priorities, and Shakey’s Pizza, and it’s probably the best thing he’s written. »

Scared Shitless

Merlin’s scared. You’re scared. Everybody is scared.

This is the video of Merlin’s keynote at Webstock 2011. The one where he cried. You should watch it. »